Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Feb 21, 2018

Hello all,

I regularly receive an email asking me to fill in a form in order to have my business entered into a World Company Registry/World Business List, while I have no idea where they got my email address from.
They ask me to send the form to
World-Business-List
Postbox 34
3700 AA Zeist
Holland

Has somebody here experience with this registry? Is it recommendable to send my data/profitable to register?

Thanks for any exp
... See more
Hello all,

I regularly receive an email asking me to fill in a form in order to have my business entered into a World Company Registry/World Business List, while I have no idea where they got my email address from.
They ask me to send the form to
World-Business-List
Postbox 34
3700 AA Zeist
Holland

Has somebody here experience with this registry? Is it recommendable to send my data/profitable to register?

Thanks for any experience sharing.

Geneviève
Collapse

john wsam

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apparently a scam Feb 21, 2018

Ok, googling the name and the address, I found out that it is actually a scam.

http://www.netzist.com/scams/eu-business-register-scam/

[Edited at 2018-02-21 10:48 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:15
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Best thing you did, search first. Feb 21, 2018

I usually receive invitations to join sites, register and or send my data. I never do it before talking to 'senders' on a video call or collecting info about them.
Best.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 20:15
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam Feb 21, 2018

They never emailed me, but some years ago, I received an invoice from them claiming almost 1,000 EUR for my register. As I had not register with them I contacted my lawyer who said to just ignore them because it was a scam…

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
A scam Feb 21, 2018

They've been tying for years to lure translators into their scammer business, sometimes from The Netherlands, sometimes from China. Just delete that email and make sure that their next email automatically goes into your scam folder.

Btw. why would a "single" translator wish to be entered in a world company registry? Freelancers are mostly not companies.

[Edited at 2018-02-21 18:43 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If it's free, it's exposure Feb 21, 2018

Thayenga wrote:
1. Why would a "single" translator wish to be entered in a world company registry?
2. Freelancers are mostly not companies.

1. For the same reason that anyone would register at a free registry -- you never know when a profile page like that would lead to a job.
2. That depends on the locality. In my current country of residence, for example, many freelance translators are regarded by the tax authorities as companies even if they have no staff and pay no salaries.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:15
Serbian to English
+ ...
it's not a scam Feb 22, 2018

in the sense that what they are doing is strictly speaking not illegal - if you tried to sue them to get your money back you would NEVER win in any court - small print they make you sign when taking your money takes care of that.

NONE of them (of these various "registers/directories" contacting you out of the blue) are in any way official/compulsory although they all try to imply it (while being very careful NOT to claim it explicitly ... as in: "you'll never get your money back")... See more
in the sense that what they are doing is strictly speaking not illegal - if you tried to sue them to get your money back you would NEVER win in any court - small print they make you sign when taking your money takes care of that.

NONE of them (of these various "registers/directories" contacting you out of the blue) are in any way official/compulsory although they all try to imply it (while being very careful NOT to claim it explicitly ... as in: "you'll never get your money back")

Even the "free" ones - that just lift without asking your details from public registers are more often than not of dubious value (they can cost quite a lot in wasted time - yours).

In brief, this "World" registry is 99.9% likely to be a complete waste of money - and only marks you as a good mark to be offered further "offers", equally useless.

Sad fact of life: the moment your business is in any official / publicly available register, you can expect to start receiving these kind of offers - some of these "publishers of registers" will print only enough copies to send to "clients/advertisers" - and they would be the only ones to ever see these "directories", or some of them would just take your money, change their business names and few months later start selling advertising in some other equally useless registry/directory ... it's a whole industry - but why should you be supporting it?
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
IF Feb 22, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thayenga wrote:
1. Why would a "single" translator wish to be entered in a world company registry?
2. Freelancers are mostly not companies.

1. For the same reason that anyone would register at a free registry -- you never know when a profile page like that would lead to a job.
2. That depends on the locality. In my current country of residence, for example, many freelance translators are regarded by the tax authorities as companies even if they have no staff and pay no salaries.

Agreed. However, these things are never free.

mark Lee
mark Lee
United Kingdom
Company Registation Apr 8, 2021

If you want to get your answer to your question you can visit the Gov.Uk site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

World Company Registry?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »