Text analysis in Across
Thread poster: Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
Apr 19, 2021

Hi,

The biggest customer of an agency I get most of my work from is moving to Across from SDL Studio. I have installed the free edition and we have done a couple of mini translations to see how it works. Apart from being a very poor user experience when using it, it occurred to me I hadn't seen an analysis. Having done a bit of research, I see that this appears when you confirm the incoming task. There are also two options there to either print or export the report. I can obviously
... See more
Hi,

The biggest customer of an agency I get most of my work from is moving to Across from SDL Studio. I have installed the free edition and we have done a couple of mini translations to see how it works. Apart from being a very poor user experience when using it, it occurred to me I hadn't seen an analysis. Having done a bit of research, I see that this appears when you confirm the incoming task. There are also two options there to either print or export the report. I can obviously print it to pdf, and it only allows an export to HTML. Am I missing something, or is this the only way to access this information. In Studio I export the analysis report as an xlsx file and use this when I invoice the customer If I can only do the two options above in Across, that means more manual work to calculate prices for each project.

It also appears that this information is only available at the time of confirmation of the task. Am I missing something here as well?

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

Kevin
Collapse

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:48
English to German
+ ...
No answers... Apr 22, 2021

Kevin Westbrook wrote:

Hi,

The biggest customer of an agency I get most of my work from is moving to Across from SDL Studio. I have installed the free edition and we have done a couple of mini translations to see how it works. Apart from being a very poor user experience when using it, it occurred to me I hadn't seen an analysis. Having done a bit of research, I see that this appears when you confirm the incoming task. There are also two options there to either print or export the report. I can obviously print it to pdf, and it only allows an export to HTML. Am I missing something, or is this the only way to access this information. In Studio I export the analysis report as an xlsx file and use this when I invoice the customer If I can only do the two options above in Across, that means more manual work to calculate prices for each project.

It also appears that this information is only available at the time of confirmation of the task. Am I missing something here as well?

Any enlightenment gratefully received.

Kevin

..to your questions. I suppose nobody here would touch Across even with tweezers, so it's hard to get help. Have you tried the Across forum here on Proz?

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Bit confused! Apr 22, 2021

According to the top of this page, this is the Across forum. This is the text I see:

"You are posting a reply to the "Text analysis in Across" topic in the "Across support" forum. If you wanted to post a new topic, go back and use the 'Post a new topic' link."

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
English to German
+ ...
Bit confused Apr 23, 2021

Kevin Westbrook wrote:

According to the top of this page, this is the Across forum. This is the text I see:

"You are posting a reply to the "Text analysis in Across" topic in the "Across support" forum. If you wanted to post a new topic, go back and use the 'Post a new topic' link."

Hi Kevin, my bad, I didn't look in the right place. But still, there does not seem to be much of an activity in this forum.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
Without tweezers Apr 23, 2021

Kevin Westbrook wrote:

Having done a bit of research, I see that this appears when you confirm the incoming task.

Hello Kevin,

If I understand correctly the steps you describe, you download the file(s) from the client's server since you have to "confirm"?
If this is the case, initially after opting for the download, you should have a screen listing the file(s) to be downloaded.
You have the number of words indicated there and only by activating the relevant checkbox(es) do you actually upload these files locally.
You then have different information on the dashboard, again including the word count.
The next step is where you open a file and only then do you confirm or reject the task. You can also open the task in read-only mode (without having to accept or reject it).
So you have all the information you need before you start your work if you accept it. If it is simply to make an offer, you also have all the elements at your disposal.

If all of the above does not fit your process, ask the client how they prepare their files, what rights they grant you, and to provide a separate file analysis.

I hope I've been helpful and Across definitely deserves to be known (if the customer also knows how to use it, which is indeed not always the case).

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Across text analysis Apr 23, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Hi Kevin, my bad, I didn't look in the right place. But still, there does not seem to be much of an activity in this forum. [/quote]

Hi Wolfgang,
No problem. Where we can agree anyway is that there is very little activity on the forum. However, it is the only forum I can find on Across, so I thought I would chance my luck with it.

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER

Adrien Esparron wrote:

If it is simply to make an offer, you also have all the elements at your disposal.

Hi Adrien,
Thanks for your response. Yes, you have the elements to make a decision, but there is no way of getting it out of Across in a form that can be used for any accountancy software I have ever come across. That means it would need to be input manually, which is really poor in this day and age. I have contacted the agency, and they will also want the information in a usable form for their own bookkeeping, so I am sure it will be made available to me, but it is a surprising omission.

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
German to French
+ ...
So it's not an Across problem... Apr 23, 2021

Kevin Westbrook wrote:

but there is no way of getting it out of Across in a form that can be used for any accountancy software I have ever come across.

If that is the problem, then the whole process needs to be reviewed and Across should not be blamed for it.

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER

If that is the problem, then the whole process needs to be reviewed and Across should not be blamed for it.

Of course it should. The only place to get the Across text analysis is from Across. If it doesn't provide a way to access that information in a form that can be used in bookkeeping systems, that is a defect in the software. At this stage, I am not in a position to be sure that that is certainly the case, but if it is, it is poor design. I know of no other professional CAT tool that doesn't provide that possibility.

At least I have the answer to my original question, which was whether Across has this capability. The answer appears to be, no it doesn't.

Vorchuchelo
Vorchuchelo
Russian Federation
accountancy software Apr 26, 2021

Hi Kevin,

maybe I can help you, if you explain which kind of information you would like to export from a CAT tool to your accountancy software.
Number of words? Number of sentences with 100% TM matches? Number of punctuation marks? I am a bit confused.

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Across text analysis Apr 26, 2021

Vorchuchelo wrote:

Hi Kevin,

maybe I can help you, if you explain which kind of information you would like to export from a CAT tool to your accountancy software.
Number of words? Number of sentences with 100% TM matches? Number of punctuation marks? I am a bit confused.

Thanks for the offer. I am using the free edition. I need the complete analysis in Excel format, i.e. breakdown of each type of match in number of words (or percentage might work). This is in the Document Analysis section when you click "Show report" in My Tasks. This is available in HTML format or could be printed as a pdf, but neither is any use for bookkeeping purposes.

Martina Klett
Martina Klett  Identity Verified
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Makeshift solution: copy & paste Apr 26, 2021

Hi Kevin,

AFAIK html and pdf are the only two formats available but you can easily create an excel file by copying the relevant section, i. e. in Across click on the "Show report" button, select the whole text of section "2. Document analysis" from "Analysis" to the number in the last column of the last line

Across-Report

and paste this in an empty excel file. There, you can delete the columns you don't need.

HTH,
Martina

[Bearbeitet am 2021-04-26 16:08 GMT]

Kevin Westbrook
Kevin Westbrook
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Across text analysis Apr 27, 2021

Martina Klett wrote:

Hi Kevin,

AFAIK html and pdf are the only two formats available but you can easily create an excel file by copying the relevant section,

Thanks Martina. Sounds like it is the best option. Bit of a pain, but better than manually copying one by one

Best,
Kevin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Text analysis in Across

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »