Studio 2017 in Trial mode keeps crashing
Thread poster: Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova
Ekaterina Kroumova  Identity Verified
French to Bulgarian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2017

Hello everybody,

I finally decided to give Studio 2017 a try but first I let it run in Trial mode, for a week now. I didn't have any problems on the first day, which I spent re-indexing my TMs. Then, on the second day, I "uplifted" my memories which took (more than) a couple of hours, due to TM size. At some point, Studio decided to run a preview of something, while doing the uplift in the background (I was using the dedicated plugin) and when I cancelled it, it froze and said it co
... See more
Hello everybody,

I finally decided to give Studio 2017 a try but first I let it run in Trial mode, for a week now. I didn't have any problems on the first day, which I spent re-indexing my TMs. Then, on the second day, I "uplifted" my memories which took (more than) a couple of hours, due to TM size. At some point, Studio decided to run a preview of something, while doing the uplift in the background (I was using the dedicated plugin) and when I cancelled it, it froze and said it could not initialise the Translation Memories view (I was actually working it the plugin's view). Meanwhile, the uplifting continued, I could see this in Windows Explorer, where the files increased in size and the operational .journal file closed at last. So I killed the process, otherwise it was not possible to close the programme.

I don't know if this first "disorder" did something to Studio, but then, every day but one, it keeps crashing, sometimes once, sometimes several times a day. It doesn't happen when I type, only if I do something else: confirming a segment; applying a translation result (Ctrl+T); applying a filter; moving from one segment to another. Most often, I receive the usual Windows message that the programme has stopped working. Only once it just closed without any warning.

Here is an example of the error reported by Windows:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: SDLTradosStudio.exe
Application Version: 14.0.5889.5
Application Timestamp: 5900c697
Fault Module Name: StackHash_ed2b
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.23807
Fault Module Timestamp: 5915f8e8
Exception Code: c0000374
Exception Offset: 000ce8fb
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1026
Additional Information 1: ed2b
Additional Information 2: ed2b805f92d5dcb378bed9689758e3eb
Additional Information 3: d42e
Additional Information 4: d42e45ce86e0739ff510908f2c46faf4

I did a repair, but to no avail.

I own a Freelance licence for a Studio 2017 upgrade and now I'm wondering if I should activate it once the trial expires, fearing this problem will persist. I don't want to lose my Studio 2015 licence if I need to reinstall/change the computer, in a situation like this.

Has anyone experienced this with the trial version? I know it's a Pro version, and with the Freelance one I might not have these issues, but who knows? What would you advise? I haven't checked on the SDL Community forum as I feel completely lost there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Studio 2017 in Trial mode keeps crashing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »